Wimped out. Gave in. Didn’t dare. However you describe it, what we did was stay at home instead of going camping this weekend.
After considering booking something at the last minute we decided to try to win the weather gamble (we’ve not had a rain-free camping trip yet) by not booking somewhere, so that we could go or stay depending on the forecast.
That choice paid off when the Met Office issued a yellow weather warning for rain tomorrow in almost all of the places we’d considered camping. Score!
But we were still left with a long weekend to fill and decided to do some day trips if we could.
A check of the weather this morning seemed to indicate the rain would only be light, in showers and actually, there was only a 40% chance of it appearing in North Yorks where we planned to go.
Having bought a voucher for a family ticket to Bolton Castle via Amazon Local we decided to take a calculated weather risk and go.
(I haven’t mentioned my Amazon local addiction yet, but seriously, if you haven’t had a look at what’s on there for your area, you should give it a go. It’s a bit like Groupon. I got a family pass to the castle for £15 instead of £30 and another for our local maize maze for £19 instead of £32. Summer hols activities sorted!)
I bet you won’t need three guesses to figure out what happened? That’s right, this happened…
Having driven north for an hour we were still 20 minutes away from our destination and the rain was hanging like low mist over the valleys. It looked set for the day so we decided to cut our losses and try to find a little coffee shop for a drink before returning home. What more could we do? Although most of the castle is intact most of the – admittedly fabulous – activities would be taking place outside (if they actually still took place when it rained). We’d taken light jackets, but not umbrellas and waterproofs, so decided to save the voucher for another day. After all, it lasts until September.
After today’s run-in with the weather we feel justified in not going camping. If 40% chance of rain showers translates to bouncing down all day, just think what might materialise from that yellow weather warning! So that’s us 1, weather 0 for 2014.
However, today’s aborted mission to the castle has evened up the score. So standing at 1 all, it’s anyone’s guess who’ll come out on top after our camping trip to Herefordshire to see family next week. The mid-range forecast looks good so far, but as you know, we don’t have the best of luck!
I’ll let you know the full time score next week.