I admit it, I’m a planner. Most of my life is organised, much of it many weeks, if not months, in advance. I can’t function without my Filofax (I’ve tried moving to an online calendar, but it’s just not working for me). It’s for these reasons my family found it so hilarious that Mimi was due to be born just a few days before Christmas. Yep, we could have done that maths. But I digress…
Finally we’re going camping again. The blog has been quiet because I’ve not had much of relevance to say, and I don’t want to bore you with irrelevant waffle. But our next camping trip is in just a week’s time and we don’t yet have a pitch booked. Eek!
We know roughly where we’re going – North Yorkshire coast – we know when and for how long. But the campsites where you can book pitches are mainly booked up and I’m not sure if I can deal with the uncertainty of just turning up.
I can hear you now. “Chill out, it’s an adventure!” But really, I’m not sure if I can cope with packing the kit, hooking up the trailer, saddling up The Tinies, driving for 90 minutes and then being turned away from the campsite. Makes me shudder just thinking about it.
By contrast, I have a lovely campsite booked for the following weekend as we go down to the Welsh borders for three nights to see my brother and his family. A snip at £17 a night (with electric at an extra £4.50 if we want it), having spoken to the lovely owner I feel confident that we’ll have a fabulous time. And some of that confidence comes from the planning factor.
So, what should we do? Take a chance at the campsite we’ve found (which incidentally assures me they’ve never turned anyone away on a Friday, but costs £36 a night!) or continue on my quest to find a site to book at a week’s notice? I’ll let you know what we decide and, of course, how we get on. Cross your fingers this fabulous weather continues (we might even break our 100% rain streak!)